I was cleaning out my first aid cabinet last night and was thumbing through the little first aid booklet that came in a portable first aid kit. As you're reading, keep in mind that on the front cover it clearly states that this booklet is put out by the AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION:
(1) Childbirth is natural and normal. There are only a few things to remember if you are helping a mother deliver her baby.
(2) Be patient and let nature take its course. Wait for the baby to be delivered.
(3) Wash your hands. Keep your hands and surroundings as clean as possible.
(4) During labor, do nothing more than support the emerging baby at the same level as the mother. Do not interfere with the birth.
(5) Keep your hands out of the birth canal.
(6) When the baby has been delivered, place the baby in the space between the mother's thighs, his head slightly lower and turned to the side.
Gee, it's a shame DOCTORS don't follow this excellent advice (remember, it's from the American Medical Association)!!